End of season summary – part 2

We had some mixed success with the onion family. Garlic was a bit on the small side, but we did have some decent onions (from sets I think). Leeks have been good, none have bolted (so far).

Roots have been a different story, apart from a few parsnip (luckily, no burns this time!), salsify and scorzonera. Will leave a salsify and a scorzonera to flower (they are pretty) in the spring. Carrots and beetroots decimated, both germinated OK, but something ate the beetroot leaves and didn’t recover (not even a golf ball size root). Carrots looked sad.

Potatoes were OK, although many were holey (slugs, other things), but we did have some!

Only the early sowings of peas did any good, but we did well with broad beans, and runner beans. Didn’t have that many French ones this time.

We had plenty of marrows (marrows, and not overgrown courgettes), and a couple of squash things. Marrows have kept well. We only harvested one pumpkin, was too late putting something underneath another pumpkin and so it was eaten by various creatures, turning into a mush gradually. Still, the pumpkin we harvested was nice.

Advertisements