12 August 2015 at 8:56 pm (Uncategorized)
Record keeping for this year is non-existent, again! Although I do have some sowing dates. Labels also aren’t all that up-to-date. There were labels with the potatoes, but they’ve been earthed up and covered! Who knows what the potatoes are!? Next year, map it out on paper so we know what is what and where.
Need to buy more netting, and this time quality. Sparrows and flutterbies got in to the brassica patch!
One of the other allotmentholders said his netted beetroot were good. He also said the lack of rain (and also, we no longer have running water on site…) has led to very tasty and great crop of new potatoes.
10 February 2015 at 7:53 pm (Uncategorized)
Potato List 2015
- Duke of York
- Lady Christl
- Red Duke of York
- Sharpe’s Express
Winston not this year – was sold out within an hour of Potato Day opening.
- Blue Kestrel
- British Queen
- Mayan Gold
- Blue Danube
- Golden Wonder
- Highland Burgundy Red
- Kerrs Pink
- Red Robin
- Sarpo Mira
- Shetland Black
12 January 2015 at 12:43 pm (Uncategorized)
I have neglected this blog in recent years but I’m still passionate about the allotment gardening. I am so glad to still have this site online and happy to see it has been a value to some of you. It would have been useful for me to keep track of what has been sown and planted, etc.., but I forget or there’s rain at the allotment preventing recording the actions taken (we don’t want wet paper doing now) and yes there is a shed I could take shelter in to do the paperwork. Labels get moved, or forgotten. I could do another batch of metal can labels and there is a small white board in the shed but perhaps we should have another, oh and we will need to get better markers. I have organised a non bulky seeds better.
1) better organisation
2) better log keeping
3) better blog keeping
4) find and try recipes for harvest gluts (pumpkin soup anyone? still got a few stored).
9 March 2014 at 10:01 pm (Uncategorized)
Tags: allotment, garlic, goldfish, greenhouse, onions, pond, potatoes, seeds, sets, shed
We were away for the festive period coming home on the 2nd of January in the dark. A neighbour said that there were tiles and slates missing from the house roof and that the greenhouse had been destroyed. I was heartbroken.
I now have a shiny new greenhouse put up last week but the seagulls have already added some decorations to the toughened glass panes. Today, I sowed some seeds in the greenhouse.
Down the plot, things got a little damp. However, on opening the shed, noticed that one of the boxes of birdfeed had been gnawed through – rat(s). Today, we emptied out the shed with a view to salvage tools and stuff after disinfecting. On a happier note, my son planted some garlic, shallot and onion sets. We also did some weeding. The goldfish are happy in the pond with at least 3 different “sizes” of fish (original, first lot of babies from 2012, babies from 2013..)
Getting into the gardening spirit this year has been slower than usual – what with the weather….. and also, our regular Potato Day end of January was not happening this year due to redevelopment/refurbishment at Garden Organic’s HQ. We found another Potato Day to go to, at a agricultural university in Shropshire in February. We bought a lot of seed potatoes (there was plenty of choice, and we were able to buy loose), and also the allium sets planted today, and some seeds. It did not have the chaotic feel that Potato Day at Ryton sometimes had.
10 January 2013 at 6:35 pm (Allotment, Vegetables)
We had some mixed success with the onion family. Garlic was a bit on the small side, but we did have some decent onions (from sets I think). Leeks have been good, none have bolted (so far).
Roots have been a different story, apart from a few parsnip (luckily, no burns this time!), salsify and scorzonera. Will leave a salsify and a scorzonera to flower (they are pretty) in the spring. Carrots and beetroots decimated, both germinated OK, but something ate the beetroot leaves and didn’t recover (not even a golf ball size root). Carrots looked sad.
Potatoes were OK, although many were holey (slugs, other things), but we did have some!
Only the early sowings of peas did any good, but we did well with broad beans, and runner beans. Didn’t have that many French ones this time.
We had plenty of marrows (marrows, and not overgrown courgettes), and a couple of squash things. Marrows have kept well. We only harvested one pumpkin, was too late putting something underneath another pumpkin and so it was eaten by various creatures, turning into a mush gradually. Still, the pumpkin we harvested was nice.